Friday, July 11, 2008

it was the best of times, it was the worst of times

So yesterday was a pretty darn good day. My friend Sam had her baby boy - Landon Charles Lybarger was born at 2:06pm yesterday by c-section. He is 7 lbs 12 oz and 20 1/2 inches! Then we went to Norman for dinner with Greg's dad's side (his sister Diana was here from CA with her boyfriend & their adorable daughter Isabella). We enjoyed a wonderful home cooked dinner (thanks Candy!) and us ladies had a really nice time chatting and drinking some wine afterward(1 glass had me buzzed - that's how long it's been since I have had a drink!!). Then Patrick took Diana aside toward the end of the evening and proposed - it was really turning out to be quite a day!!

Then today happened. Not really the worst of times - that (so far in my life) was last May - but definitely on the bad side of things. Not even work related - work has actually been okay. My BIL Kevin got MORE bad news about his upcoming closing on his first house - we're not sure if he is going to continue to deal with this crap or if he's going to just walk away. Poor guy has been on quite the roller coaster with this house situation! It is constantly changing and I'm not sure if he will know or believe he is actually getting this house until he is in the process or signing the papers! I feel for Kevin, I truly do, and I know how much he wants this house and quite honestly it's perfect for what he wants and it's close to us which is awesome. I have to admit that part of my irritation in all of this is that we have an entire room and 1/3 of our garage that is a storage space for him until he gets his house and I hate to say it, but I want my house & garage back! There is so much I want to do and I can't until he moves out! But I feel bad for even thinking about that....

And then there's our roof. We had to replace the west side or our roof within the first year of owning this house - a little wind damage, but it wasn't bad enough to claim insurance or anything. So last week I look at the roof as we are pulling up to the house and I notice there are some dark spots on the south side of the roof - we have shingles missing! We called 2 roofing companies (the one we used last time and then one that has been on a constant stream of replacing roofs in the neighborhood) and they both came out today to check it out. Bad news - we have wind damage that needs to be fixed and the builder hired a crappy roofer to begin with and so the roofing job is less than stellar to begin with. Apparently that is a common occurrence in our neighborhood - hence all the new roofs that have been going up. This is a big one, so I called our insurance company to get things going. I hate to claim insurance, but this is most likely going to be a more expensive venture than me buying Greg's car from the fleet company! RIDICULOUS!! And the best part is that they don't make the color of shingle that we have anymore so the new roof we had put on less than 2 years ago (the one we had to match to the existing shingles) will now have to be replaced too! I am SO GLAD today is Friday.....

No comments: