Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Baby, it's cold outside....

Wow, today is actually going to get above freezing!! If it's going to be this cold the least it could do is give us some snow! So there has been a mix of a lot going on lately and not a lot at the same time. More often than not I end each day trying to figure out where it has gone - I am constantly busy, yet most of the time I can't remember what I've been doing that's been keeping me that busy. I have been very bad at keeping everyone updated on what we've been doing so I will try my best to think back and catch everyone up!

The Tuesday before Thanksgiving we had our first appointment with our R.E. He started me on a new drug (metformin) and told me to give it until the first of the year to see if it starts working. He also gave us a game plan of sorts that lets me know what to expect if each thing doesn't work, which is really nice. So far all the metformin has done is made me sick (gotta love side effects!) and made me lose extra weight that weight watchers didn't take off. I am hoping that in the next week something happens, but I am really expecting to have to go on to Plan B which is more metformin with a chaser of clomid. This will be my forth round of clomid - hopefully taking metformin with it will help it work because the previous three rounds have done absolutely nothing but give me more side effects to deal with.

The first weekend in December we took a trip to Alabama to see my Grandma. She moved there shortly after my Grandpa passed away and we hadn't made the trip to see her new place. We have had the pleasure of having her here to visit us for 2 weeks though, so it's not like we haven't seen her. Anyway, this trip was really nice because it involved almost my entire family on that side - my brother's family couldn't make the trip. My aunt & uncle from Hattiesburg (MS), my cousin & her husband from Jackson (MS), my Grandma from Decatur (AL), my parents, my sister & her kids and Greg & I all made the trip to Huntsville (AL) to invade the Fairfield Inn for a weekend. It was SO nice to see everyone - I really wish my brother & his fam would've been able to make the trip - hopefully next time! The weekend was full of watching the kiddos swim, a small amount of shopping, food, family & a bit of drinking. It was a great way to spend a weekend between Thanksgiving & Christmas and I hope that it is made an annual trip from now on!!

We drove back from Alabama on Sunday (the entire way - what a LONG day!) so we'd be back for my FIL#2's surgery on Monday (for my uncle Rick - FIL#2 = Greg's stepdad). He was diagnosed with prostate cancer almost 2 months ago. Anyway, he had decided to skip the radiation and go for removal of his prostate instead, so he was scheduled to have that done on Monday. Surgery went well, a bit longer than we'd expected due to his size, but well. Recovery has been a bit of a bumpy road so far. He was kept in the hospital a day long than he was supposed to be, his drain tube is still in and still draining (it was supposed to be removed a week ago) so I'm not sure if that's bad or indifferent. He can't comfortably sit normal, so he does best in a semi-reclined position and spends the bulk of his day in his recliner. My MIL#1 (Greg's mom) has been taking great care of him and going a bit crazy from staying at home so much I think. She did go out the other day to get him some books so he'd have something to do. Hopefully his recovery will start to go a little better and he will get to go back to preaching and his usual activities - I know he misses it all!

Greg & I have just been working and getting ready for the holidays. I've gotten to spend quality time with my girlfriends at Bunco and my friend Jen's annual Ornament Exchange. We had the pleasure of watching Kayden & Bella in their school Christmas program. They did SO great - Bella even had a solo and she just blew me away!! I can't believe how grown up she is becoming - she's almost 8!! I really love this time of year and the family time that comes with it. If only there was one more day to Christmas so I could have one day per family and not have to rush around so much. Sunday we did get the honor of seeing our friend's son Henry get baptized - it was such a special day and a wonderful celebration to start off Christmas week!

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas & a Happy & Blessed New Year!!

No comments: