Monday, March 31, 2008

BOOMER.....(that's the only time you'll hear me say that)

Thursday night we were over at the Green's house (we took dinner over since we couldn't spend Friday with the birthday boy) and my cousin called - they had just passed the exit for OSU on I-35....holy crap!! You see, my cousin Justin & his wife Sadie were coming down from Ames, IA for a visit and they were supposed to be driving to KC on Thursday night and then the rest of the way on Friday. Well, they had decided to drive the whole way that day and had called me at about 7 when they were still in Kansas but my lovely phone didn't bother to tell me :-( So, we finished out visit and headed home - good thing we had finished cleaning the guest bathroom already!! We picked up some beer and Greg dropped me off (he had to head into work for a bit) around 10 and less than 10 minutes after I get home I hear suitcases rolling on the sidewalk - they were here!!! I am very close to Justin and Sadie is like a sister in a former life - I don't think I ever laugh as hard as I do when she's around! The Anderson family & Bice family used to take summer vacations together every summer - those three are the same ages as my brother, sister and I so we all became very close over the years. Anyway, Just & I popped open some beer and the three of us sat there talking for a bit, with Greg joining us shortly after they arrived. before we knew it 1 AM had reared it's head & we all headed off to bed so Greg and I could get up for work on Friday.

Friday night was spent hanging out at my brother & sister-in-laws with the rest of my family. Lots of beer drinking was involved (this weekend was the first time I've had beer in probably over a year!!) and a rousing game of Loaded Questions was played......my family + alcohol = freaking hilarious answers!! We left around 12:30 and finally made it to bed around 1:30 again.

Saturday night we went to the Big XII championships for women's gymnastics. My cousins are neighbor's and friends with the ISU coaches, so we got to be on the coaches list and get in for free! The meet was awesome (I am a huge fan of gymnastics though!) - Greg even enjoyed it! It was OU, Mizzou, Nebraska & Iowa State. ISU was the worst ranked team out of the 4 - this was a rebuilding year for them and they weren't expected to finish high at all. Well the girls really brought their A game and they lost the championship by a tenth of a point!! OU had a near perfect vault (9.95) that won it for them - ISU had come so close and done so well that they were ecstatic though!

Sunday was Molly's baptism!! It was a happy day, but a sad day all in one. Brian is Molly's Godfather so Rick stood in for him, which you could tell was really hard. You can tell by his face that he is still having a really, really difficult time adjusting to life without Brian, as I know they all are, his is just so evident in his face. Landmark events like this will be terrible for a while, but they are a strong family and they will get through it together! It was nice to be able to share in this event with them! After the baptism there was a reception/party at Rick & Cindy's house - lots of food and socializing!! It was nice to be able to spend time with them all for a happy reason, even though the mood wasn't the typical happy baptism mood - there was still an air of sadness for everyone there I think. Afterward we went over to check out Sean & Makaria's new house.....it's great! They have a wonderful new house with great bones to transform into their first home together - such a wonderful and exciting time that is!! We're looking forward to the housewarming party in a few weeks!!

The week ended with storms. Golf ball sized hail was the worst we got at our house. No damage that we can tell - the cars were in the garage so they're good. I went to sleep after it passed us and hadn't fully woken up yet when my brother called this morning. Apparently there was a small tornado that was around 178th & Penn and had hit a few houses in Valencia. Jenny & Buddy moved into their new house in Valencia a few months ago. The Benson's are on the NW corner of 178th & Penn, my brother and his fam are on the NE corner & my sister and her kids are on the SE corner - so everyone was in the closet or laundry room last night!! I talked to everyone this morning though and so far all that is wrong is missing trash cans....hopefully after a good once over that is still the only thing wrong!! All in all it was a great weekend - exhausting, but great!!

No comments: