Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I went to Cantler's and all I got was crabs


So Friday morning I got up at the butt-crack of dawn so I could get to the airport on time. I was really very lucky - I had found 2 tickets for a phenomenal price - and it couldn't have come at a better time.

I arrived at BWI after a non-stop flight from OKC around 12:45. So far things were great, my flight left on time and I arrived 10 minutes early which was awesome since I was needing to find the shuttle to take me to the MARC station and I'd never been to BWI before. I found my way rather quickly and hopped aboard for a quick ride to the train station where I bought a ticket (for $6!!) and patiently awaited the train. It was nice to ride the train from Baltimore to DC - I hadn't been in that area in years and it gave me a chance to stare out the window at a lovely change of scenery. We arrived at Union Station (it's HUGE - it's a mall & train/subway station all in one!) on time and I took it all in as I went to meet my little in the Main Hall. It was in the 80's and I was dressed too warm for walking around, so we grabbed lunch & headed to her apartment in Eckington. After relaxing for a bit and walking around the neighborhood we got dressed and headed to Dupont on the Metro to meet 2 more friends from college for dinner that lived in Baltimore. We went to Lauriol Plaza which is a great Mexican restaurant in DC (and quite the happening bar too) and visited with Brooke & Erika for a few hours. They had delicious food there and the drinks weren't too shabby either! After dinner we headed back to my little's place (they gave us a ride this time though so they could see her place before heading back to Baltimore).

Saturday morning started early - I woke up at 6:15 (remember - we're an hour behind DC) and then dozed off and on for an hour or so before getting up. She made pancakes for breakfast and then we doused ourselves in sunscreen and headed for the Metro. We spent a few hours just walking around the National Mall, occasionally stopping to sit for a while on a bench & people watch. It was in the mid-80's so it was the perfect day for this! We had to be back to meet another friend of hers around 2 so we walked home through China Town and continued to enjoy the weather. I decided to skip out of the walking tour of the rehabbing that the city was doing to the neighborhood, so I stayed home and took a cold shower and a catnap while they went ahead on the walk. When they got home we piled in her car and headed to Maryland for dinner. Before moving to DC my little lived and worked in Annapolis, so we were going to one of her favorite restaurants with some of her former co-workers/friends for dinner. It was awesome - whole steamed crabs that you pick apart and get every last ounce of meat out of!! After dinner we walked around the "downtown" area and got some gelato for dessert - so delicious! Then we headed home and crashed.

Sunday I slept in (until 8:30 EST!) and then got up and started packing and got ready for church. I went to my little's church in Virginia with her. We stayed and joined the potluck lunch after service and sat around visiting with the pastor and the other members. It was a wonderful afternoon - they are all very welcoming and friendly people - I certainly didn't feel like a visitor! After a few hours we headed back to DC and prepared to head to Baltimore so I could catch my plane home.

I had an amazing time - it couldn't have been better timing for myself or for my little. I am so blessed to have her in my life and can't wait to go visit again (maybe this time I'll take Greg though - it's so beautiful there!) As much fun as I had though I am happy to be back home with Greg - I missed him!

1 comment:

Candice said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous time!!! What a great mini-vacation!

PS - Umm, I really want steamed crabs right now...ha!